[Mailman3-dev] Re: Umbrella Lists --> CMS

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Mar 18 09:30:03 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 08:37, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:
> --On Wednesday, March 17, 2004 5:01 pm -0500 Barry Warsaw
> <barry at python.org> wrote:
>

> > The way I'm thinking about is that there would be an interface for
> > asking about additional profile information about a recipient (probably
> > using the email address as a key).  That way, information about
> > addresses kept outside Mailman's databases could still be supplied to,
> > say the mail-merge facility.
>
> Oh, no. Please don't use the email address as the key. I have many email
> addresses. Three supplied by my employer, PLUS all the email addresses in
> my personal domain.

I should have been more precise.  I'm thinking that the email address
will probably the login, but that internally, there will be a member id
that's the key.  The member id may be an integer or it may be a hash
generated at the time the member registered.  There will probably also
be a mapping from member id to email addresses and vice versa to
facilitate logins, etc.

The tricky part will be trying to manage a confederation of membership
management with multiple external storages, each of which has their own
notion of "a member id".  Right now, I'm not sure how to do that.

-Barry