[Mailman3-dev] Add ability for admin to change email addresses inside List database

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 18 11:23:19 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 10:19, Nancy S wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>

> >I don't think anyone on Mailman-dev wants to encourage the bad practice
> >of allowing folks to be subscribed without their approval (except by the
> >list admin), so don't look for this feature to be changed in MMv3.
>
> This may be slightly off this particular topic, but I run several mailman lists with the options:
> o) Administrator approval is required for all subscriptions
> o) No confirmation is required for subscriptions
>
> These are relatively "closed" communities of nontechnical people, where the administrator has tight connections to the subscribers and there is some "offline" or "unstructured" confirmation that occurs outside of Mailman itself.
>
> The problem I've been having is that there doesn't seem to be a way for the LIST ADMIN to change a subscriber's e-mail address without a confirmation (unless one goes through a subscribe/unsubscribe which risks changing user options and the user password). For these particular communities we really do not want confirmation required -- and if it's not required for the initial subscription, why is it required for the address change?

That's a nice feature and a good justification for it.  I'll forward
that along to the MMv3 list and see if folks like it.

It almost trivial to write a command line tool that would change an
email address inside the list database. The harder part will be adding
it to the Admin's web form.

Jon Carnes