[Mailman3-dev] Problem with the schema

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Apr 1 07:22:31 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 23:12, J C Lawrence wrote:

> No.  Rosters as first class objects have a set of expiry semantics which
> are unique to themselves.  Those semantics may be the super-set of the
> expiry semantics of the lists which reference them, or some other
> arbitrary set (which may cause them to be expired before their dependent
> lists expire).

To accomplish this, I think Rosters have to be named, or otherwise
identified with a human readable label.  "Roster 17" or "the Roster
containing these 17,000 addresses" won't be a good way to identify a
Roster whose linkage to a MailingList has been broken.

> I'd treat MessageCollections as another first class object with discrete
> semantics.  I don't know what LanguageTextCollections are yet.

They're things like "the welcome message in the 7 different languages
this list supports".  Each contains a set of LanguageTexts for a
particular message in a specific language.

> There are multiple levels of "deletion":
>
>   - Doesn't accept or send mail any more

I might call these "dormant".  For example, dormant lists can be easily
resurrected (I'm thinking Python's SIGs as an example).

>   - List is invisible to external view but still exists as a set of
>   meta-data configurations.

Such as?  Can you provide more detail in what you're thinking here?

>   - Doesn't exist as a list configuration but still has archives and
>   other meta-data

Yep.

>   - No trace remains.
>
>   - etc.
>
> As with all these things I'd suggest starting with determining what the
> minimum necessary atoms are, what the necessary relationships among
> atoms are, and then building from there.

I think we have at least a good start on that.  I'll try to find some
time to describe what we've got.

-Barry