[Mailman3-dev] Problem with the schema

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Apr 1 07:36:16 CEST 2005

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:31 -0500
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 23:12, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> No.  Rosters as first class objects have a set of expiry semantics
>> which are unique to themselves.  Those semantics may be the super-set
>> of the expiry semantics of the lists which reference them, or some
>> other arbitrary set (which may cause them to be expired before their
>> dependent lists expire).

> To accomplish this, I think Rosters have to be named, or otherwise
> identified with a human readable label.  "Roster 17" or "the Roster
> containing these 17,000 addresses" won't be a good way to identify a
> Roster whose linkage to a MailingList has been broken.

Absolutely.  Of course that can be the human readable version of a
machine friendly numeric primary key.

>> I don't know what LanguageTextCollections are yet.

> They're things like "the welcome message in the 7 different languages
> this list supports".  Each contains a set of LanguageTexts for a
> particular message in a specific language.

Ahh, thanks.

>> There are multiple levels of "deletion": - Doesn't accept or send
>> mail any more

> I might call these "dormant".  For example, dormant lists can be
> easily resurrected (I'm thinking Python's SIGs as an example).

Yup.  I'd like to note, and not just to be pedantic but because I really
don't feel that I've thought through it fully, that it feels like
there's a larger set of "partial" states for mailing lists than I
listed.

>> - List is invisible to external view but still exists as a set of
>> meta-data configurations.

> Such as?  Can you provide more detail in what you're thinking here?

The need is to take a list into a state where it appears to have been
deleted to everyone involved but me as SysAdm/ListMaster, I then keep
the list configuration around as an audit trail, a set of configuration
details (eg headers/footers) to copy from when instantiating a new list,
etc.  This is something I've wanted here and have accomplished under
Mailman v2 by turning off password reminders for the list, disabling the
email aliases, and flagging the list to not be shown on the listinfo
page.

> I think we have at least a good start on that.  I'll try to find some
> time to describe what we've got.

Cool.  Hope I'm not jumping in too hard here Barry.

--
J C Lawrence