[Mailman3-dev] User interface for mailing list archives

Lawrence Jones Jones.L at ocr.org.uk
Tue Jul 5 17:28:21 CEST 2005

I wrote:
>Have you seen this?
>
>http://zesty.ca/zest/

Well yes, you probably have since Barry posted it a few minutes before
mine went round, sry :S

Well, they do say great minds think alike... ;)

Having taken a better look at it, it's far more complex than I first
thought. It's also very rigid and requires a standard writing style
using '>'s to denote the previous message and assumes that the rest is
the author's text. It divides the whole lot into chunks and matches
replies to the text they're replying to. I can tell you now that the
users on my lists will not follow that writing style (although many to
most are non-technical users).

I'm interested in 3 things to do with this:

1. how much it breaks if you don't stick to it's rules? Ie: how robust
is it? Can it be made more robust?

2. if implementing it would make for a change in ethos for Mailman which
reduced it's accessibility to non-technical users? This depends on 1.

not knowing much about e-mail protocols, this might sound a bit stupid:
3. does zest's design rely on e-mail in a certain format? Ie: can you
still do plain text mails?

renJones

If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, please return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply facility on e-mail.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.

The UCLES Group is getting a new look - we are adopting a new name and a new identity which expresses what we do more clearly - from July this year (2005) we will be trading as Cambridge Assessment.