[Mailman3-dev] Mailing list attributes: immediate access, or proxied?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Mar 30 01:28:03 CEST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:58:47 -0500
Mark Bucciarelli <mark at gaiahost.coop> wrote:

> I see your point.  The list attributes are pulled from a SQL table, so
> it's possible that someone could add a custom attribute (to the table)
> and then a later release of mailman could add a new class attribute
> with that name.  That could lead to some amazing bug.

Having spent the last week looking at just such bugs, yeah.

> But this is the only scenario I could think of; i.e. where a user adds
> a custom attribute.

Users are going to want to do that.  They are going to want to implement
custom schema with attributes which are then reflected at the SMTP
layer, in the web UI, etc etc.  They are going to want to do this
arbitrarily, and they are going to expect that their code will work
across multiple Mailman version releases.  They are going to want to be
able to be Mailman experts.

We should support that.

> Seems very low probability and perhaps could be handled by
> documentation (e.g., all custom attributes should use an "x_" prefix
> in their name) and an exception or assertion failure in the code that
> sets the attributes after reading them from the db.

That seems like a chunk of complexity for little gain.

> I guess that syntax mlist.attr.prop just bugs me.  :)

Then use a new-class property method?

--
J C Lawrence