[Mailman3-dev] Mailing list attributes: immediate access, or proxied?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 30 05:25:25 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 18:42, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:

> agreed, i think all of this falls out a whole lot more simply with
> interfaces and schemas rather then dictating implementation items like
> __getattr__ hooks and proxies.

Agreed.  My own feeling is that we'll build up that machinery after we
get more of the system fleshed out.

> ie define the core schema for mailman operations on a list and others
> can extend as needed for their custom attributes and serialization.
> as you say, newstyle class properties offer the flexibility of
> attribute access with arbitrary impl. additionally it would be nicer if
> we can break down the core schema to its component parts, ie mailman
> list transport schema vs. mailman list web schema, or use adaptation
> where possible.

The application-level MailingList class's primary purpose in life is to
support the attributes and operations that core Mailman needs.  At this
stage, I think simplicity is our best friend.

>   i'm curious what got done at the sprint, is there a summary available
> anywhere?

Not yet, but I'll try to summarize here.  I was hoping we'd get a new
wiki up soon, but in the meantime, this list will have to do.

Our biggest accomplishment was designing the database schema to support
as much of the requirements as we currently understand.  We tried to do
this last year, but I think we got bogged down in the SQL-weeds.  This
year, things went much more smoothly because we adopted SQLObjects as
our interface to the database.  The results are in Subversion, and I'm
pretty happy with them (modulo an issue I'll bring up in a separate
thread).  We also wrote a bunch of test cases.

So I think we have a good basis from which to work now.  I also hope to
soon talk about how we can structure this project so that we get much
more community participation.

-Barry