[Mailman3-dev] Problem with the schema

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 13:21:53 CEST 2005

--On March 31, 2005 02:05:36 -0800 J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:40:46 +0100
> Ian Eiloart <iane at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Alternatively, viewed from the perspective of a subscriber, rosters
>> are internal nodes and lists are leaf nodes. This isn't really a tree
>> - it's a net.
>
> It becomes more complex when/if you want to support the concept of a
> user having an account with the system,

Yes, I do want to do that. In fact I want two types of account: local and
non-local. A local account is one that is already defined on my LDAP (or
whatever) servers - they're students and staff on my campus. A non-local
account type would be closer to what Mailman has right now - it could use
any non-local mail addresses.

The distinction is important for several reasons:

    1. I know who local people are, and I can take action against them if
they misuse lists. Therefore, I can allow them greater permissions. My
instinct would be to allow local accounts to post to ANY of my lists, at
least by default. I'd want to be able to revoke that for some lists, and
for some individuals.

    2. Local users shouldn't have to go through the same sign-up process. I
already know their email address, and their authentication credentials. I
might want to have them agree to some terms and conditions before making
their first post, though.

    3. A site should be able to define which are local addresses (a list of
regular expressions), and decide whether Local accounts can register
non-local addresses.

An additional complication: here a person may have one account with several
mail aliases (I'm iane AND i.eiloart, for example). But they may also have
several accounts. Management of people with several accounts may be beyond
the scope of Mailman 3 - but it may be that there are design decisions
(name spaces, for example) that could be influenced by the need to allow
for this in the future.

And, when it comes to addresses... We manage many mail domains here. Some
are synonymous (susx.ac.uk and sussex.ac.uk, for example), and others
aren't. Mailman should permit me to define synonymous local mail domains so
that when iane at susx.ac.uk is allowed to post to a list, then
iane at sussex.ac.uk is too.

--
Ian Eiloart