[Matplotlib-devel] supported python versions

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:52:47 EDT 2015

I did not include D because, baring someone making a hard commitment to
maintain a 2.6 compatible 2.0.x bug-fix branches, it is not an option.

One of the major planned features for 2.1 is serialization which is being
built on top of traitlets, which does not support py2.6.  I have an open PR
to drop [1] travis testing for 2.6/3.3 and master will lose 2.6 support
(probably) within the month.

After a bit more thinking, I think the right way to communicate the
distinction between 'works' and 'supported' is to only list the supported
versions (as in, we are committing to fixing it if mpl breaks on this
version of python) the website, but code the pypi packages for all versions
where it will run.  Dropping support for old version of python will be
noted there and in the release notes, but not mentioned anywhere else.

So where I currently sit:

 - 1.5 onward; supports 2.7, 3.4, 3.5
 - individual releases will be coded for what versions of python they _run_
on

And again, if 2.6 support is critical to anyone, let us know and we will
see what we can do.

Tom

[1] https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/5215