[Matplotlib-devel] import time doubled by master vs 1.4.3

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:51:43 CEST 2015

My guess is that this has to do with disk access?  With venvs running on a
ramdisk I get almost identical times, particularly if I run it a couple of
times:

15:39 $ time python -c "from matplotlib import pyplot; import matplotlib;
print(matplotlib.__version__)"
1.4.3

real    0m0.377s
user    0m0.343s
sys     0m0.030s

15:36 $ time python -c "from matplotlib import pyplot; import matplotlib;
print(matplotlib.__version__)"
1.5.dev1

real    0m0.362s
user    0m0.327s
sys     0m0.030s

Both of those times fluctuate and despite what I pasted, 1.4.3 seems to be
faster more often than not (but by hundredths of seconds).

Running this command several times seems the later runs seem to be faster
than the first time.

Tom