[Matplotlib-devel] matplotlib keeps installing it's own (older) numpy

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Sep 11 12:40:02 CEST 2015

Did you use pip to install those in-development versions of numpy etc., or
just 'setup.py install'? The latter is unfortunately broken in several ways
-- what might be biting you here is that it does not install the package
metadata (.egg-info or .dist-info) that setuptools and pip need to know
whether numpy is installed or not, what version it is, etc. -- this is
separate from just having a numpy directory on your pythonpath. (Another
thing that will bite you in the future is that when you use
distutils/setup.py to install a package, then it's impossible to correctly
uninstall or upgrade that package later, because it doesn't make a record
of what files were installed.)

The best / only correct way to install a package from source or a git
checkout is 'pip install <source dir>'; never run setup.py directly.

(Yes, this is absurd, but I don't make the rules...)

-n