[Matplotlib-devel] supported python versions

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Tue Sep 15 13:10:08 CEST 2015

Hello,

On 14/09/15 21:49, Thomas Caswell wrote:
> I would like to propose the following for which version of python mpl
> officially supports:
>
>  - for v1.5 we continue to support 2.6, 2.7, 3.3-3.5
>  - for v2.0 forward we support (2.7, 3.4, 3.5)
>
> and allow for new, python3 only, features to be developed for mpl2.1
> onward, so long as they do not break any existing functionality in py2.7.

I agree that dropping support for python 2.6 may be a good idea if there
are real advantages in doing so, but maybe not in release 2.0 that was
advertised to be only about style changes.

However, I do not see how it may be possible to have python3 only
features added in the code-base, without cluttering it with a lot of
conditionals imports and versions checks. What are exactly the python3
features you thing may easy the implementation of matplotlib features?
How do you plan to make python3 only code coexist with the existing
pythin2/3 code?

Cheers,
Daniele