[Matplotlib-devel] supported python versions

OceanWolf juichenieder-nabb at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 18:28:57 CEST 2015

On 27/09/15 14:50, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> I still don't understand what "know to work with" means. From the above
> it seems that it means that "you may be luck and we have not break
> compatibility, but if we did, then it is on you, we are not going to fix
> it". With, to me, reads the same as "not supported".
>
> Breaking compatibility with python releases in patch version releases is
> also a terrible idea, in my opinion.
Yes, this underpins the reason for changing to "known to work with...",
because we don't want to break compatibility in minor versions, but
versions 1.5 and 2.0 have already been tested thoroughly on 2.6 and 3.3.
> Matplotlib release 1.5 is release candidate now, and as far as I know it
> is supposed to work with python 2.6. What changes are you foreseeing in
> patch releases of the 1.5 series that will take advantage of breaking
> compatibility with python 2.6?
>
> I believe that matplotlib 1.5 series will be only about bug fixing, and
> that all development will go into 2.0. I don't really see how bug fixes
> can be helped by dropping compatibility with old python releases.
We release 2.0 shortly after 1.5 which means 1.5 won't have any patch
fixes, and 2.0 contains no new features, but a change to the default
colours.  But yes, dropping support for python 2.6 allows us use things
such as OrderedDict, not saying we will use such things in 2.0.x
(assuming we have a 2.0.x release, fingers crossed we find no bugs), but
making the change now to the requirements keeps our options open for the
future.

Best,
OceanWolf