[Matplotlib-devel] switch default to h264

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 13:38:16 EDT 2016

As I stated in my book:

"While I will not claim to possess anything more than a passing familiarity
with movie formats, I recognize that neither do many other people. For
those who have had experience editing and creating movies and understand
these concepts far more extensively, you can skip this section; be assured
that I could not possibly add any new knowledge. For those reading on,
there are likely to be some over-simplifications. As such, this section is
only intended to provide enough information to successfully render
animations and avoid pitfalls and should not be considered authoritative."

My quick research at the time found that while mpeg4 and h.264 weren't
strictly equivalent, for all intents and purposes they could be considered
as such. And it is my understanding that avconv and such were treating it
as the same (unless explicitly told not to). If I am wrong in this regard,
please refer to the previous paragraph and kindly file an errata for my
book.

Cheers!
Ben Root