[Matplotlib-devel] wxMPL status?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 23 17:53:26 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Carlo Segre <segre at iit.edu> wrote:

> If I get some time I hope to add the patches.

That would be great -- we should make a gitHub project for it -- would you
like to do that, or should I?

or...

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>
 wrote:

> Development (https://github.com/newville/wxmplot) isn't fast, but it is
> not dead either.
>
> My recollection was that there was a lot of overlap in functionality,
> between wxmplot and wxmpl.
>

>  What uses of wxmpl would need to be ported and/or translated (or some
> combination) to wxmplot to fit your needs?

Boy, I have no idea! Back in teh day, I decided that wxMPL fit my needs a
bit better, but I can't recall why...IT is lighter weight, but I don't know
that the extra weight is a problem at all...

So our next step is going to be to take a look at wxmplot, and if it fits
the use case at hand, great! if not I guess we'll figure out if it's easier
to patch wxmplot of wxmpl to work for us.

Stay tuned...

But: I also have to say that the lack of wxPython (and matplotib+wx
> backend) for Python3 is a major concern.  If matplotlib's wx backend
> supported Phoenix, I'd be more inclined to work on this.  As it is, there
> is not much evidence that investing significant time in wxPython-based
> libraries is a good use of time.

Any idea what it would take for MPL to support Phoenix? Honestly, I haven't
given Phoenix a real try at all yet. I"ve got a handful of small apps (and
one biggish one) that are wx based, but not in active enough development to
want to deal with porting to py2 or Phoenix...

So, while I'm sympathetic and willing to help some, I'm more concerned
> about the very sad state of wxPython.

yeah -- the irony is that Robin has been working on PySide for the last
while....

but while slow, wxPython still seems to have a good community, and Phoenix
does appear to be pretty close to operational....IT jsut needs some
prodding along, I suppose.

For my part, we are doing a lot more with Web apps, which I why I've had
little time for wx lately....

Thanks,

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov