[Matplotlib-devel] Long term release schedule

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:42:19 EDT 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Fabien <fabien.maussion at gmail.com> wrote:

> What would be more interesting to read are arguments against this
> initiative. But I believe that once the major projects (mpl, jupyter,
> ipython, pandas...) have made the first step, others will undoubtedly
> follow.

Devil's advocate: You will piss of some people that will either stop
contributing, or fork MPL, and get an indefinite
number of bug report from people stuck on the last version supporting
2.7. I suspect you will have two wave of people pissed:
When you switch master to 3+ only, and when you **release** a 3+ only version.
You'll have **some** packaging pain, as you need to publish a `tar.gz`
and `zip` that pip should not even **try** to install on Python 2.

As for undoubtedly following, I would not be so sure. I can see pandas
and numpy be one of the last projects dropping support.
Especially numpy which is at the base of most of the SciPy Stack.

Though, having **their dependents** being python 3 only will likely
make their decision much easier.

Will mercurial ever migrate to Py3... I'm not sure, but we can argue
it's not in the Scientific stack.