[Matplotlib-devel] long term schedule

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Fri May 20 14:32:17 EDT 2016

On 2016/05/20 8:18 AM, OceanWolf via Matplotlib-devel wrote:
> How does "not breaking any APIs" influence the deprecation and removal
> timeline for the gui overhaul?  I thought perhaps deprecate in 2.2 and
> remove in 3.0?  Or does such a timeline go too fast?

Along the same lines, I think this might be too much of a straitjacket.
This is a vague sense of unease--I don't have a specific example.  It
just seems like having to keep *everything* 100% intact until a 4.0
release in 2019 or 2020 might be going too far.  This is especially so
since "API" is not so well defined.  Does every attribute lacking a
leading underscore have to be maintained for several more years?  Maybe
"API" needs a qualifier, like "major API".

Eric