[Matplotlib-devel] Markup text

Antony Lee antony.lee at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:57:21 EDT 2016

Wouldn't it make more sense to implement this as improvements to mathtext?
instead of

"Hello <b>world</b>!"
"Hello <span color=blue>world</span>!"
"Hello <span family=serif size=x-small>world</span>"

have

r"$\text{Hello \textbf{world}}$"

r"$\text{Hello \textcolor{blue}{world}}$"

r"$\text{Hello \textsf{\small world}}$"

You'll be able to have a better layout this way too (reusing the mathtext
layout engine).
One could have some helper if "$\text{}$" is too much to type (but TBH you
immediately gain back on the fact that you don't need closing tags...).

Antony