[Matplotlib-devel] moving examples

Nelle Varoquaux nelle.varoquaux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:54:00 EST 2017

On 13 February 2017 at 16:40, Thomas Caswell <tcaswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> yes, i will give access to anyone who wants.
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017, 19:38 Nelle Varoquaux <nelle.varoquaux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> It's a shame that the main documentation does not redirect to the
>> versioned documentation. It would be nice it the only pages bookmarked
>> would be
>> matplotlib.org/majorversion/examples/... that way we would get the best
>> of both worlds imho. If we can find a simple way of generating redirects as
>> Adrien suggests that sounds reasonable too. I think we should try hard to
>> find a way to move the pylab examples to a folders with a more meaningful
>> name as well as deleting a fair number of examples
>>

>> Somewhat related to deleting examples, do we have any kind of analytics
>> on our website frequency usage? something like google analytics. It could
>> help us see what people are using in our documentation.

I am interested: I think it should help us see which examples are
frequently accessed and those which aren't, and could help us merging some
examples together.

I also think we shouldn't be too concerned with breaking people's
bookmarks: if someone has a broken bookmark, it is fairly easy to google
for the replacement.
If renaming, moving or deleting an example makes our life easier, I think
we should go forward with that.

My 2 cents,