[Matplotlib-devel] A (new) cairo backend for matplotlib

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Jun 29 04:32:28 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 12:49 AM, Antony Lee <antony.lee at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I am not making a PR out of this backend *yet* mostly due to the dependency
> on a very recent compiler, which I believe would not be acceptable to many,
> and would probably require delving into the build scripts.  Note that even
> if I remove the C++17-isms from the codebase (which I'd rather not do --
> "auto [x, y] = ..." is quite nice), pybind11 requires C++11 and suggests
> using a C++14 compiler.

FWIW, the manylinux1 compiler (gcc 4.8.2) can only handle C++11. There
should be a manylinux2 coming along eventually (i.e., as soon as
someone steps up to do it, could be tomorrow, could be next year),
which will be able to use gcc 6.2.1. It looks like 6.2.1 has full
support for C++14 and partial support for C++17:
https://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx-status.html

-n