[Matplotlib-devel] release schedule

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 17:56:30 EDT 2017

Folks,

Re-addressing the long-term release schedule first discussed in May 2016
[1] (which we are now about a year behind on).

2018-01/02 : 2.2 LTS
  - this will be the LTS release and get patch level fixes until 2020

2018-07 : 3.0
  - first release which is python 3 only.

The level of backporting to 2.2 will depend on if someone champions it.  I
am personally only willing to do critical (failure to import and segfault
fixes) backports.  If functionality bug fixes are important to people, I am
happy to delegate all responsibility of the 2.2.x series.

For 3.0, I would like to start with python 3.6+ only.  The release schedule
for 3.7 is 2018-06 so that would return us to, what I understand used to be
the standard, support for the last 2 versions of python.  Further, both
python 3.4 and 3.5 already have no planned future releases.

Tom

[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/matplotlib-devel/2016-May/000374.html