[Matplotlib-devel] Python 2.7 build failing due to Unicode characters...

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Fri Sep 8 13:49:43 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Very sorry to be ignorant, but my python 2.7 build of the
[constrained_layout
manager](https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/9082) is failing
because the underlying functions don’t accept unicode strings.  i.e.
`boo(‘test’)` fails with a warning: `TypeError: Expected object of
type `float, int, or long`. Got object of type unicode instead.`  OK,
the warning is a little confused - strings get converted to floats
inside this fcn, but you get the idea…

Am I supposed to put `# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-` at the top of every
source that might create a string that calls these functions?  Or should
I convert the string somehow in my wrappers before passing down?  Or
does `from __future__ import unicode_literals` do this?

Thanks for bearing with me,   Jody