[Matplotlib-devel] Call notes 29 Jan

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Feb 1 13:02:50 EST 2018

Dear Nicolas,

Looking at the doc tree, it seems that if this tutorial could be put in `doc/users/` we could TOC it right under “Installing” as “Getting Started Guide” or “Introductory Tutorial".

I’m not sure what machinery to use to author it in.

The nice thing about using sphinx-gallery is that you get a downloadable *.py and Ipython Notebook.  If you go this route, it would live in `tutorials/introductory` and we could link directly in the table of contents.

Note there is an existing `tutorials/introductory/usage.py` that starts out OK, but then has some esoterica tacked on the end.  I think your tutorial is nicer.  But the image at the start of `tutorials/introductory/usage.py` is quite nice…

If you aren’t up for doing the conversion yourself, I’m happy to help, or I’m sure others are.

Cheers,   Jody

> On 1 Feb 2018, at 07:05, Jody Klymak <jklymak at uvic.ca> wrote:
>

>> Yes, and I can help with the integration as well (the tutorial needs an update anyway).
>
> Speaking personally, I think that was exactly the scope I had in mind when I said we could use something between the very short and somewhat idiosyncratic intros we have now and a 200-page book. If you were willing to work that into the official docs it’d be a huge contribution.
>
> My only quibble is I somewhat prefer steering people away from the pyplot API, just because I think it becomes limiting.
>
> Thanks!  Jody

Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/