[Matplotlib-devel] IPython terminal issues with matplotlib 3.0 on macOS

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Wed Oct 10 21:40:11 EDT 2018

Hello,

I just upgraded to matplotlib 3.0 and I'm noticing an annoying issue
using matplotlib in the IPython terminal.  When I import
matplotlib.pyplot the terminal looses focus and some spurious escape
sequences appear in the terminal (last line below):

$ python.app -m IPython
Python 3.6.6 |Anaconda custom (64-bit)| (default, Jun 28 2018, 11:07:29)
Type 'copyright', 'credits' or 'license' for more information
IPython 7.0.1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python. Type '?' for help.

In [1]: import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

^[[47;1RIn [2]:

I guess this is due to matplotlib probing the different backends, but I
don't know where to look for the exact cause of this.

Cheers,
Dan