[Matplotlib-users] em-dash not correctly displayed in saved pdf when using tex

Chao-Chin Yang chaochinyang at icloud.com
Mon Dec 28 04:26:40 EST 2015

Hi, I am having issues with producing an em-dash in pdf when using tex.  A sample script is as below:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import math
import numpy as np

x = np.linspace(0, 2 * math.pi)
y = np.cos(x)

plt.plot(x, y)
plt.suptitle(r"abc --- def")
plt.savefig("test.pdf")
plt.show()

I have customized rc parameters:

backend = “TkAgg”
font.family = “serif”
text.usetex = True
image.cmap = “CMRmap"

The plot rendered on screen looks fine.  However, there are some weird characters showing up right before the em-dash in the saved pdf, as attached here.