[Matplotlib-users] errors when mp4 files played in browser

gml at garymlewis.com gml at garymlewis.com
Fri Apr 22 09:55:13 EDT 2016

Thanks Ryan. Very cool nbviewer link you sent me. I use a Jupyter
notebook for pretty much all my python development. Very happy with it.
... Anyway, to answer your question. Yes, the movie at the bottom of the
notebook works fine for me. Does that imply my issue is not the browser?
I see you set matplotlib.rcParams['animation.html'] = 'html5'. My
default was set to 'none'. Changing it to 'html5' did not seem to change
anything, however. When I open the animation mp4 in Firefox, it
immediately says the file is corrupt.

I do have one additional item to add that I discovered almost by
accident today. I recreated the animation (using a jupyter notebook, as
always), but this time I had the linux terminal open where I had started
the jupyter notebook. Nothing unusual until the animation completed and
I used Firefox to open the mp4 file. Once I did this, I got the
following error at the terminal:
[h264 ........] decode-slice-header-error and 'no frame!'

I am a video novice, but a little search on the error indicated that a
keyframe might be missing. Again, this points to user error rather than
browser error.

Any thoughts?

Gary