[Matplotlib-users] better plotting of magnetic field lines

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 15 11:38:20 EST 2016

Hi all,

I would like to plot the magnetic field lines for a simulation and am
finding that streamplot is in adequate in a few ways.  First, it breaks
lines when they get too close together.  I think this can be configured
with the density parameter.  More fundamentally, one usually wants the
density of field lines to indicate the strength of the magnetic field.  So
a clever selection of start_points could in principle accomplish this, I
think.  That may be the way I go, but I wonder if someone hasn't already
come up with a solution for this.  If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Regards,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA