[Matplotlib-users] Fwd: Issue with Basemap and drawcounties()

Joshua Devlin josh at devlinsonline.com.au
Wed Dec 7 16:34:40 EST 2016

Code which I'm trying to plot inside a Jupyter notebook:

%matplotlib inline
from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
m = Basemap(projection="merc", llcrnrlat=38.8, llcrnrlon=-76,
urcrnrlat=42, urcrnrlon=-72.5, resolution='i')
m.drawcoastlines(linewidth=.25)
m.drawcountries(linewidth=.25)
m.drawstates(linewidth=.2)
m.drawcounties(linewidth=.1)

The error I get is:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xf1 in position
2: invalid continuation byte

Which is exactly the same as in this GitHub Issue (which isn’t mine):
https://github.com/matplotlib/basemap/issues/324

I’m running MPL 1.5.3, does anyone have any clues on how I might
troubleshoot this?
​
Joshua Devlin
M: +1 832 266 2564 <(832)%20266-2564>