[Matplotlib-users] matplotlib at LIGO/GW observation

Nils Becker nilsc.becker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 08:52:57 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

as the direct observation of gravitational waves made its way round the
world a few days ago, I was pleased to see that they (very probably) used
matplotlib for their plots. They even used the new viridis colormap [1].
I could not confirm this directly for the plots in the paper but at least
the data analysis stack at LIGO seems to be built partly on python. They
provide scripts to reproduce the data analysis in python and use matplotlib
to plot it [2].

In any case, maybe it's an idea to contact LIGO to confirm this and ask
them if we could put the figure on the website gallery as a kind of "plot
of honor" or something? I mean there is a chance that it's going to be the
most famous plot done in matplotlib to this date.

Cheers
Nils

[1] http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102
(page 2)