[Matplotlib-users] Problems with Matplotlib examples under Windows

Chris Corben cjcorben at hoarybat.com
Wed Jan 6 14:24:34 EST 2016

Hi everyone - I am a complete newbie to Matplotlib but love the idea and
want to get to know it.

I am having problems with three of the matplotlib examples running
Jupyter Notebook under Windows. The same problem occurs consistently on
three different PCs, two running Win 7 Professional and one running Win
8.1. Matplotlib was obtained by installing 64 bit Anaconda3. I am also
using PyCharm 5.0.3 and seeing the same issues. I have done nothing to
modify any part of the Anaconda installation.
Matplotlib is version 1.5.0

I have also used the same setup under Linux Mint 17.2, where both in
Jupyter and PyCharm everything worked.

The three examples I have tried which failed are:
embedding_in_tk.py
embedding_in_tk2.py
and
embedding_in_tk_canvas.py

The results of all these failures are crashes of Python showing the
Windows error "Python has stopped working". In PyCharm I stepped through
the code to find where it crashed.
In:
embedding_in_tk.py
and
embedding_in_tk2.py
the crash occurred in the line
canvas.show()
   calling
   FigureCanvasTkAgg.draw() in backend_tkagg.py
     calling
     tkagg.blit() in tkagg.py
     and crashed in the second attempt at
       tk.call()

In:
embedding_in_tk_canvas.py  (modified only to import tkinter.py for Python 3)
the crash occurred in the line
   fig_photo = draw_figure(canvas, fig, loc=(fig_x, fig_y))
     calling
     draw_figure()
       failing in the line
       tkagg.blit()
         which calls
         get_renderer() in backend_agg.py
           which crashes at the end of the function in the line
           return self.renderer

I ensured at all times that Python 3.5 in Anaconda was used as the
interpreter.

I presume this is due to some difference in the OS's and would love to
hear what I can do about it!

Thanks, Chris.

--

Chris Corben.