[Matplotlib-users] Real-time graph, redrawing a changing Y axis

John Ladasky jladasky at itu.edu
Wed Jun 29 19:23:06 EDT 2016

Hi Jody,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm aware of Matplotlib's animation API.  I'm not
sure that it would help me.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of animation.FuncAnimation() is to
connect a data generating function to the update function of a MPL object,
and to drive it all with a timer.  It's an event loop, for people who
aren't already writing event-driven code (which I am, I have 1,200 lines of
mostly-working PyQt5).  What actually gets done in the MPL update method is
what I think is important to me.  I want to change only what needs to be
changed.

My approach is best described by this article:

http://bastibe.de/2013-05-30-speeding-up-matplotlib.html

The article is a few years old, I know.  Still, using the advice I found in
articles like this one, I limited redrawing, and everything updates in
under 10 milliseconds, a 15-fold improvement over my original
redraw-everything approach. In total, I have five live graphs on the
screen. It's only this one self-adjusting time series graph that is
misbehaving for me.