[Matplotlib-users] Trying to reproduce plot with a certain colormap

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Fri Aug 11 15:53:13 EDT 2017

On 11 Aug 2017, at 12:17, Klymak Jody wrote:

> This image has pretty clearly been converted to CMYK hence the
> dullness. Pretty convinced that's what jet looks like after a CMYK
> conversion.

See:

https://gist.github.com/jklymak/744db8cc538e5757ecc4eb4977bff3a3

CMYK conversion was done in Illustrator.

You could still argue that matplotlib’s “jet” gets darker at the
high reds and low blues, and maybe the cyan is more bright.  But you
have to be pretty careful w/ CMYK conversions because it depends on the
profiles used etc etc.  I’d buy the argument that this is a matlab jet
versus a matplotlib jet, but I think most of the perceived difference is
because a CMYK conversion happened somewhere along the way.

Cheers,   Jody

PS, I note the image *says* that it is RGB, but then my converted image
also says the same thing.