[Matplotlib-users] MaxNLocator and steps [2.0.0rc0]

Brian McFee brian.mcfee at nyu.edu
Sun Jan 8 19:44:25 EST 2017

Hi everyone [long-time user, first-time poster],

I recently ran aground of a change in MaxNLocator introduced in 2.0.0rc0 by
this PR: https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/7586.  This change
warns if the steps parameter has values outside the range [1, 10], and is
justified in the issue https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/7578 by
compliance with the docstring.

I have been using MaxNLocator with steps=[1, 5, 10, 15, 60] (or
thereabouts) to label time-axis plots with units in seconds, and position
ticks at "nice" fractions of minutes.  Apparently, I've been doing it
wrong!  Does anyone have advice about how to recover the previous behavior
without doing-it-wrong?

Thanks!