[Matplotlib-users] Color Cycle Survey

Matthew Petroff matplotlib at mpetroff.net
Sat Dec 15 16:50:59 EST 2018

Dear all,

For the past year or so, I've been working on techniques for generating
visually pleasing colorblind-friendly color cycles, since I find the
current default difficult to interpret (see [1] for details). The
colorblind-friendly aspect can be solved through technical means, by
enforcing minimum perceptual distances in combination with color vision
deficiency simulations, but the aesthetic preference aspect is subjective
and requires a different approach. To this end, I've created a survey for
collecting the data necessary for creating a model of general aesthetic
preference for color cycles:

https://colorcyclesurvey.mpetroff.net/

As the usefulness of this approach hinges on collecting enough data [2],
I'd appreciate folks taking the survey. Feedback on the survey or the
general approach taken would also be appreciated (there's an issue tracker
[3]). Thanks.

-Matthew Petroff

[1] https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/9460
[2] What constitutes "enough" is unfortunately difficult to define a priori.
[3] https://github.com/mpetroff/color-cycle-survey/issues