[Matplotlib-users] backend for matplotlib on NAS Lou (Thomas Caswell)

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 8 09:38:59 EST 2018

Just thought I report that I did get matplotlib working as desired on Lou.
It turns out that using the version of matplotlib and ipython that's loaded
by pkgsrc works (i.e. module load pkgsrc), if you set the backend to Qt4Agg
or GtkAgg in your matplotlibrc.  In my case I had to remove from my path
the anaconda distribution that I had installed.  I was also able to install
yt using pip (with the --user argument so it installs under ~/.local).

Regards,
Jon

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 12:00 PM, <matplotlib-users-request at python.org>
wrote:

> Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 02:44:38 +0000
> From: Thomas Caswell <tcaswell at gmail.com>
> To: "Slavin, Jonathan" <jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu>
> Cc: Matplotlib-users <matplotlib-users at python.org>
> Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] backend for matplotlib on NAS Lou
>
> This should go either to anaconda support or to your local sysadmins.
>
> It may also be worth trying to us `tkagg` which tends to bundled with
> python and may have a higher chance of working.
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:19 AM Slavin, Jonathan <jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > The platform is Suse Linux Enterprise Server 12.
> > Also, I checked and there are no modules loaded:
> > > module list
> > No Modulefiles Currently Loaded.
> >
> > I also checked that I was launching the anaconda version of
> python/ipython.
> >
> > ?To be more explicit about the error, if I use in my matplotlibrc:
> > ?backend      : Qt5Agg
> > backend.qt4 : PyQt4
> >
> > Then when I start up ipython with the --pylab argument, I get:
> > [TerminalIPythonApp] WARNING | Eventloop or matplotlib integration
> failed.
> > Is matplotlib installed?
> ---------------
> > ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call
> last)
> > /u/jdslavin/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
> IPython/core/shellapp.pyc
> > in <lambda>(key)
> >     196         shell = self.shell
> >     197         if self.pylab:
> > --> 198             enable = lambda key: shell.enable_pylab(key,
> > import_all=self.pylab_import_all)
> >     199             key = self.pylab
> >     200         elif self.matplotlib:
> > (snipped)
> >
> > /u/jdslavin/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
> matplotlib/backends/qt_compat.py
> > in <module>()
> >     135     if QT_API == QT_API_PYQT5:
> >     136         try:
> > --> 137             from PyQt5 import QtCore, QtGui, QtWidgets
> >     138             _getSaveFileName =
> > QtWidgets.QFileDialog.getSaveFileName
> >     139         except ImportError:
> >
> > ImportError: /lib64/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.12' not found
> > (required by
> > /u/jdslavin/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt5/
> ../../.././libglib-2.0.so.0)
> >
> > So I'm guessing that this has to do with the version of glibc installed
> > rather than the missing gui toolkits as I had previously thought.  It
> could
> > be that loading some module might fix the problem, though I'm not sure if
> > that's true or which one I'd need to load.
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA