[Matplotlib-users] Creating a smooth surface in 3D

Bala subramanian bala.biophysics at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 04:52:43 EDT 2018

Thanks for the inputs. After some efforts, I managed to create the surface
by generating vertex and faces using an external program and mpl tools.

ax1.plot_trisurf(x, y, z, triangles=faces,color='w', lw=10)

ax1.scatter3D(x, y, z, c= cols,s=10)

However, i am now trying to figure out the simple way to color the
triangles using the vertex colors.

For each vertex, I have assigned a color (ranges from blue to red) which in
my case represents a calculated property. So basically I have a color array
(cols in the above snippet) that I passed to the scatter function. I would
like to know how I can color the triangle by interpolating to the colors of
the vertex it belongs to. The available examples in net show the usage of
colormaps. In my case, the triangles should adopt vertex colors.

Any tricks to achieve this could be of much help. I have attached a sample
figure, which i believe, could better elucidate the problem.