[Matplotlib-users] HiLo colormap

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:53:30 EDT 2018

I would not call it hacky, this is exactly what the over/under
functionality is for!  It also fits the use-case of the blog post where
there is some knowledge that 0 and the max-int are invalid.

You are going to have a related  issue with the color map.  It is going to
take the top/bottom 1/Nth of the range to be marked as over/under which may
be _more_ that you want to grab.  I also think it will grab asymmetrical
ranges for log scales.

For the API I am thinking something like

`im = ax.imshow(..., over_color='r', under_color='b')`

so that you can control that aspect of the color map from the user API.

Tom