[Matplotlib-users] facecolor for legend with alpha and shadow

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 15 10:07:26 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I'm wondering why using shadow=True causes shading of the legend box when
framealpha is set to a number.  That is, if I do:
fig,ax = plt.subplots()
ax.plot(x,y1,label='y1')
ax.plot(x,y2,label='y2')
ax.legend(framealpha=0.5,shadow=True)

The face color of the legend is gray.  There doesn't seem to be any reason
for this, so I'm assuming it's a bug.  I've been looking through the docs
and haven't found anything relevant - and haven't found any way around it
other than turning off the shadow. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA