[Matplotlib-users] matplotlib 3.0 animation blitting bug?

DJP djpine at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 08:41:11 EDT 2018

This looks like a bug to me, but maybe someone knows better...

After updating to matplotlib 3.0, I get the following problem on animations
that use blitting: A horizontal bar appears at the bottom and a vertical bar
on the right of function animation plots.  The attached screenshot shows the
problem for the "The Bayes update” example from the matplotlib animation
examples:
https://matplotlib.org/gallery/animation/bayes_update.html#sphx-glr-gallery-animation-bayes-update-py.

This same problem occurs on all animation files I’ve tried that use
blitting.  None of them had the problem before I updated.

Interestingly enough, when I save the animation to an mpeg4 file, there is
no problem in the saved movie file.

This occurs on a system configured as follows:

macOS: 10.13.6
Python: 3.7.0 Anaconda distribution
matplotlib: 3.0.0
<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t1291/bayes_update_frame.png>