[Matplotlib-users] 3.0 upgrade

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Tue Oct 23 11:45:01 EDT 2018

> On 23 Oct 2018, at 07:39, Srinivasa Rao <srinivasrao.poladi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was using Matplotlib ver 2.2.2 on windows 10 using anaconda distribution.
> Now I have upgraded anaconda distribution with Matplotlib ver 3.0.0. Facing
> few issues with the code that was working fine with 2.2.2.
>
> 1. In 3D plots using mplot3d, for multiple subplots,
> plt.tight_layout(w_pad=5) worked fine with 2.2.2, but same code is giving
> the following error
> <http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/tight_layout_err.png> ,
>
> and output display is one long vertical line with some jumbled letters.
> When I remove titght_layout() statement, I get adequate space in between the
> plots, but legend overalps with title. How can I fix this overlap issue?

This will be better in 3.0.x: https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/12241 <https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/12241>

Take the legend out of the layout: `leg = plt.legend(); leg.set_in_layout(False)` may help, but for 3-d plots there is still the spine issue.  Sorry for the bother.

> 2. For all 3D plots figure size gets too small, compared to the size I used
> to get with 2.2.2 version. It is the same for single plot or multiple
> subplots in the figure. Even figsize=(15,10) produces very small figure as
> attached here
> <http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/3Dfigure_Sizeissue.png>
>
> whereas 2.2.2 produced full screen figure as shown below.
> <http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/sizewith222.png>
>
> Appreciate any help in resolving these two issues.

These look like dpi issues.  Not sure what is causing that.  How are you producing the pngs?

Cheers,   Jody