[Matplotlib-users] hanging after import of pyplot

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 19 09:31:08 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I've had this strange behavior occur, now for the second time, that I'm
hoping someone can help me diagnose. What happens is that if I import
pyplot, e.g. like
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
the prompt becomes completely unresponsive. I can't even get out of it by
ctrl-C or ctrl-Z. I have to actually kill the process. This happens in all
my environments (which includes python 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7 and anaconda 2 and
anaconda 3). Last time this happened it resolved itself somehow by itself.
Because it happens with different versions of python, ipython, and
matplotlib, I'm thinking that it must have to do with the backend. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jonathan D. Slavin
Astrophysicist - High Energy Astrophysics Division