[Matplotlib-users] large pdf files

Appel, Thibaut t.appel17 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 5 13:30:06 EDT 2020

If the output size of .pdf is your concern, I suggest you export your figure with matplotlib in .eps, and then use the command line tool « epstopdf » shipped with any LaTeX distribution.

The .pdf backend of matplotlib is far from being optimized.

I always observe a factor of size decrease between 10 and 100 (!) in the output .pdf after running epstopdf, instead of saving directly in pdf.

Thibaut