[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Release 0.20 of matrix object is available

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:32:05 -0500

   It is necessary for names to be unique without regard to case.  That is,
   although Python is case sensitive, some of the operating systems it functions
   in are not, and since module names are found in the local file systems, the
   names like array and Array may conflict.

Does that mean that Python doesn't do any clever filename mapping
on sytems that do not support case distinction and/or long file names?
I never checked, but I always assumed that it does something like
the GNU library that maps Unix filenames to short DOS-style filenames
(i.e. provide a mapping that is as unique as possible, even if that
produces strange-looking filenames).

So, in effect, Python modules names are restricted to 8 lower-case
characters? That would create a few problems with the Python code I
have produced so far...

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)