[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] plmodule.c, openglmodule.c

Thomas Schwaller et@appl-math.tu-muenchen.de
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 15:11:45 +0100

Hi Matrix SIG'ers,

1) First a comment on the Array, array, matrix discussion...
   What about the name "multiarray" for Array. When I see uppercase letters I
      always think I can derive from that class, but for Array this would not
be       the case. Just an idea, not really important.

2) I found a bug in my plmodule.c. When you use just matrices everything is ok
   but when tuple or list input is transformed to matrices these are
               dereferenced too early. Fixed that bug.
   ftp://ftp.appl-math.tu-muenchen.de/pub/et/plmodule.c.0.3.gz
   Will "try" to put it on our matrix location. Connections are nearly
   impossible for me here! :-(

3) Completely reworked my OpenGl module. This was quite old, used the old
          naming convention and the cgen script for producing the glmodule.
   Now everything works with matrices as input, not just tuples or lists.
   The module is not completely finished yet, but you can already do a whole
   bunch of things with it (257 procedures up to now in the module).
   For GLUT or OpenGL widgets and general information about this openGL module
     check also the Info collected by David Ascher at
   http://maigret.cog.brown.edu:80/python/opengl/
   If you want to have a look at this preversion check:
   ftp://ftp.appl-math.tu-muenchen.de/pub/et/openglmodule.c.0.1.gz
   If there's enough interest in that I will certainly contribute a lot
   of examples.

4) Heard about the visual toolkit C++ classes and the Tcl binding for it.
   Coolest thing for OpenGl graphics at the moment (at least for me! :-))
   Ken Martin (one of the authors) agreed to to a python binding with me.
   The Tcl binding works well (I already did some wrappers for Python
   `a la Tkinter, but we will do a native Python binding) and at the moment
   he is doing a Java binding. To map the quite complex data hierarchy
   to python I will certainly need advice from people having done this before.
   Unfortunately startup time is quite high and comiling the classes
   and working with them shows the limits of C++ compiler technology
   (at least the one I have, g++ and SGI CC). Using the code in the classes
   directly in a Python module would be great but why developping C++ classes
   you will ask. Well, ... good question ...
   >>THIS WAS JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION<<
   Hope it's not boring you to death! ;_)

5) How was the feedback at the python workshop concernig the matrixmodule.
   Would be nice to hear a word or two.

6) Read about the sprse matrix stuff in the paper for the workshop. Is this
   making any progress or is it a long term story not been started yet.
   Sorry I'm just curious!

Tom