[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Another naming issue

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 18:23:46 -0500

While we are discussing names, let me point out another one that is
not perfect: omath. From the source code I know that "o" is supposed
to mean "optimized", which may well be true, but the characterising
feature from a user's point of view is generality (compared to
"math"). So how about "gmath" (general math) or "umath" (universal
math)?

As a motivation for a quick decision, I promise to make two of my
Python modules that use Xmath (no, *not* Xmas!)  available as soon as
there is a definite name. One implements 3D-Vectors (in the sense of
geometrical objects, not vectors in the sense of linear algebra), the
other automatic differentiation of arbitrary functions.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)