[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Mutli-dimensional indexing and other comments

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 15:03:40 -0400

   specification via an index argument.  Could the rank be overriden
   using a keyword argument instead of an index argument,
   e.g. product.over(b,rank=1)?  Since keywords are commonly used to
   override default arguments this would seem a natural possibility.

I have never used keyword arguments, but that's no reason not
to use them ;-) Basically the idea is not bad; however, it lacks
one useful feature of my implementation: it is not possible to
create function objects with modified ranks if the rank is only
supplied in the function call.

Whenever I need a particular function/rank combination often,
I just define a new function, e.g.

  reshape_items = reshape[[-1,1]]
  reshape_items(range(5),[2,2])

gives the result

  0 0
  0 0

  1 1
  1 1

  2 2
  2 2

  3 3
  3 3

  4 4
  4 4

This is useful not just to save typing, but also to give meaningful
names to nonobvious array functions, which helps to make the code
more readable.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)