[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] a few thoughts

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:43:29 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Dubois' comments struck a chord with me.  While I appreciate the
cleanliness of python's generic containers, I am painfully aware of the
slowness of python's operations on, say, sound files with thousands of
elements, to take a mid-size example.

1. How fervently are people opposed to splitting the array/tensors in
   terms of element type?  One array for any python object, and one for
   numbers, all of the same type (one type per array).  The two array
   types could have the same interface, but one could use the uniformity
   of its elements' types for optimization.

2. Am I right that this dichotomy would allow massive optimization?

-david