[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Let's get going

Michal.Spalinski@fuw.edu.pl Michal.Spalinski@fuw.edu.pl
Tue, 12 Sep 95 12:27:57 +0200

If this is going to be useful to people like me who are very fond of Python
and have concrete numerical work to do in the field of Physics or whatever,
the `*`, `+` etc really should be reserved for matrix operations (not
elementwise). This is because one would like to be able to type a
complicated formula and have it parsed correctly, and at the same time one
should be able to look at it a week later and see immediately whether  a
sign is wrong or a factor is missing. This is the problem with using lisp
for this kind of thing - if the notation is different from that which one
is used to (by writing on paper) it makes it laborious to check whether the
formulae are really correct.

Regarding the APL type of stuff, outer products and so on, I think it is
worth having and potentially useful, but it should use a different syntax.
Maybe new infix operators, or just function calls - but not `+`, `*` etc.

--
Michal S.