[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Vector-style operations vs. matrix operations

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 17:28:16 -0400

   In either case, I think it would be a mistake to add too many new
   operators in the APL or J fashion.  Such clutter would reduce the
   readability of Python programs.  One also runs the risk of trying to
   make a subset of Python look like a functional programming language
   which could further confuse users.

Let me add that I totally agree about that. There is no point
in re-creating APL or J, especially since Python is already
a better language in many respects (especially when it comes
to legibility).

All I would like to take over from J is its array and rank
concept. In terms of array-specific operations, I suggest
inner and outer product, transpose (in the general sense),
and reduction (I hope I haven't forgotten anything). These
would be implemented as methods, not as special operators as
in APL or J. Together with the elementwise operations
this would give an array system superior to most languages
(except for APL/J of course) and extremely useful both
for linear algebra and all kinds of data handling.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)