[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Let's get going

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 21:15:57 -0400

   You have to have some reference semantics to make m[i][j] work.
   Actuall, the proposal has reference semantics for reference (ie
   __getitem__) and copy semantics for element/slice assignment
   (__setitem__).

Indexing is really just syntactic sugar for getitem() and setitem(),
so I wouldn't call that reference semantics.

   I agree that we should try to focus on requirements, however, a very
   basic requirement of this type is it's ability to support interfacing
   with existing numerical routines, which imposes some significant
   restrictions on it's implementation.

Sure. But that's just one point on the list of requirements ;-)

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)